Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Experimental Apple Pie

Last night we went to dinner with good friends, the Oaks!  They are wonderful and they have two of the cutest kids around!  For Lent, Mrs. Oak has given up processed sugar and I am bringing an apple pie.  An apple pie without sugar?  Challenge accepted!  I am using The Farm Chicks baked pie shell   It's a very flaky recipe, you should try it!
Ingredients:
One baked pie shell
9 small to medium apples (I used Gala and McIntosh because that's what I had)
3 Tablespoons honey
1/4 Teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice (I usually use 2 teaspoons cinnamon, but we were out...) 
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon butter

1. Make the baked pie shell and place the dough in the fridge for one hour.

2. Roll out the dough, place in a pie plate and cook on 250 for 25 minutes.  I use a bake in pie lifter that is the best, but I can't find it anywhere.  Here is one that is similar. 




While the dough is cooking:
3. Slice the apples and combine in a bowl with 1 teaspoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves.
4. Make the oat topping by combining 2 teaspoons honey, the remaining allspice, the oats and 1 tablespoon butter in a bowl.  I use a fork, but clean fingers work as well. 
5. Take the pie shell out and fill with apples.  Use your fingers to sprinkle the oat topping on top of the pie.  bake at 350 for 40 minutes, longer if you want darker crust or more tender apples. 
7. Enjoy your wonderful pie!


The pie turned out to be very delicious and my husband told me I should make all of my apple pies like this one...  Overall, it was a huge success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment