Friday, February 24, 2012

Pumpkin Granola

I love all things pumpkin!  Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin lattes... The list goes on and on!  I also like making granola because you really can't go wrong when experimenting.  I stumbled across a recipe for Pumpkin Granola here.  I did make several changes because of what I had in the kitchen. 

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats


  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds


  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds


  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon


  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg


  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves


  • 1/8 teaspoon ginger


  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree


  • 2 tablespoons pear butter (that I canned, you could substitute apple sauce)


  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup


  • 2 tablespoons dried cranberries


  •  2 tablespoons golden raisins (I ran out of cranberries...)




  • Directions:
    Heat the oven to 275.  I use a Demarle non stick baking mat to bake my granola.  It is really awesome!  If you don't have something like this, you could spray the baking sheet with cooking spray, but I prefer parchment paper because it cuts down on the oil. 

    Mix the first seven ( dry ) ingredients together in a mixing bowl. 

    Mix the wet ingredients together in a smaller mixing bowl. 

    When they are combined, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.  *Do not add the fruit yet!  It will burn! 

    Spread the granola out on the baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  The granola will continue to harden when it is removed from the oven, so don't over cook it. 

    Let the granola cool for 10 mintues then combine with the fruit in a large mixing bowl.  It is delicous and pretty healthy!   Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment